Thursday 6 March 2014

Soo many books

Am I the only one who has been caught by surprise at how fast this year is moving? Things that happened in December (and I mean the last few days of December) seemed to have happened eons ago. And now it’s already the 6th day of March! Where are the days flying to?

When I think about why this subject bothers me so much, one of the things that comes to mind is a challenge I gave myself. You see, I love reading novels. Always have, always will. I read for many different reasons but the major one is to get out of my own life situation and into someone else’s. It’s pretty cool once you discover all that you can learn from reading about someone else’s life. In fact, sometimes you may find that what you read about addresses certain aspects of your life exactly. It may not necessarily be areas that you have ‘issues’ with…even everyday things you do can be related to the characters. So back to my challenge.


I joined a website called Goodreads which basically provides book lovers with an avenue where they can tally the books they've read, join discussions about their favourite books among other things. Goodreads provides an opportunity to any willing user to challenge themselves to reading a certain number of books in a year.  And as you've probably guessed by now, I decided to challenge myself with 55 books in one year. I assumed that it would be easy-peasy since I am a fast reader. However, I underestimated a couple of things:


1) The fact that I would drive to school at least twice a week, instead of taking a matatu. This automatically reduced the number of free hours I would have used to read my novels.
2) That my courses this semester would be more demanding than I anticipated.







And hence my current situation: an overload of assignments + required housework =less time to read books = me being 2 books behind my challenge.


*Sigh* I should actually be working on an assignment right now, not blogging. A friend of mine, Lulu, tried to tell me that I should just forget about this post and focus on my assignments, but I knew that I would not be able to concentrate until I'd let this out. Now that I'm done though, I suppose it is time to get to the assignments (Shout out to you, Lulu :) ).


4 comments:

  1. HAHA! Well, the solution would be to hire a driver and read in relative comfort. S/O to LULU, need a well paying job? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Are offering your services? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I feel like you're talking about the story of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @msupa Well, we do go to the same institution... ;)

    ReplyDelete